I was really, really excited when I slipped into my dress this first time. The intended fit is quite snug and I want to be sure that the dress will fit, so I decided to baste it all together first for a fitting, something I've never done before, I usually just rely on my muslin. But this time I did not want to take any risk.
(Sad news: my favorite fabric store doesn't have any silk organza any more, and they will not be able to sell it any more in the future. So I'll have to look for another source for that stuff, as I don't get it anywhere else around here.)
I also added a second layer of underlining to the back bodice and lower front bodice parts to which I attached the boning channels (cotton twill tape in my case).
The instructions to do so come from Susan Khalje's "Bridal Couture", which is sort of my "teacher" in making this dress.
I also cut the spiral steel boning, which I'm glad that it's done now.
Then I basted the dress together by hand. I also basted a zipper in the back, as there is nobody to pin me into and out of the dress.
The first thought when I had the dress put on? It looks a lot better made up in a nice black fabric than in the muslin (which is actually an old bedsheet). Phew!
I am really glad that I did the basting before actually sewing it, though. The bedsheet fabric stretched out more than the taffeta, so the dress is a bit too snug around the lower bodice. I also decided to lower the skirt for about 1.5 cm (given that my seam allowances are only 2 cm, that means I'll lower the skirt as much as possible).
And I will gather the front skirt only at the sides, because the gathering all the front long does look good in the front view, but in the side view it makes a funny bump that is not very flattering!
And this is how it looks like at the back:
Not too bad, I think. The excess fabric at the bottom is the vent underlap, as this is not a critical part to be fitted I just left it open.
Altogether, I am really happy with it, the fitting issues are easy enough to solve and I'm happy that I do know about them now. Better for my nerves. And hand basting the whole thing didn't take as much time as I expected but was well worth it. I already took the dress apart again and now I'm off to putting it all together!