February 8, 2014

New Favorite Winter Dress

When I found this mustard wool knit fabric in my local Bernina store, I couldn't resist buying it and making it into a dress.

Als ich diesen Wolljersey im Bernina-Geschäft gesichtet hatte, konnte ich nicht widerstehen (wer könnte auch?).



The pattern I used is a vintage one, and by chance it was my size already and even a petite size, so I did neither have to do any pattern grading nor do any alterations on it, wow!

Für das Kleid habe ich einen Vintage-Schnitt verwendet. Der war schon direkt in meiner Grösse und sogar als Kurzgrösse, und ich musste den Schnitt diesmal nicht nur nicht vergrössern oder verkleinern, sondern auch sonst gar keine Anpassungen vornehmen!


I did not like the ruched collar, though the dress looked a bit bland without anything, so I drafted a peter pan collar myself. I attached the collar with some snaps at the neckline facing to make it detachable for washing, which meant a bit of fiddling around, as I could not find any instructions for detachable collars at all. Please ignore the blue markings: I used some sort of magic pen to mark the positions of the snaps and forgot how to remove the markings as I threw away the packaging.

Der Rüschenkragen hat mir an dem Schnitt nicht so gefallen, allerdings sah das Kleid ganz ohne Kragen auch ein bisschen fad aus, also habe ich mir einen Bubikragen selbst konstruiert und genäht. Der Kragen ist mit Druckknöpfen am Halsaussschnittbesatz befestigt, damit ich ihn zum Waschen abnehmen kann. Ich konnte für abnehmbare Kragen leider keine Anleitung finden und habe es auch nicht perfekt hingekriegt, die Druckknopfleiste ist etwas verknorkelt, aber die sieht man ja nicht. Leider habe ich die Verpackung von meinem magischen Stift weggeworfen und weiss jetzt auch nicht mehr, wie ich die blauen Markierungen wieder aus dem Stoff rausbekomme...


The honeycomb decoration at the hem was already in the fabric, on both sides of the selvage. Of course, an A-line skirt is not ideal to use a straight decoration boarder at the hem, but I didn't know where else to place it and decided to try it anyway. It doesn't look too crooked, I think. If it would not have worked out, my plan was to cut the dress above the honeycombs and set on a tier without decoration.

Das Wabenmuster war bereits im Stoff, an beiden Kanten sogar. Ein ausgestellter Rock ist jetzt natürlich nicht so ideal, um so eine Kantenverzierung an den Saum zu legen. Ich konnte mir die Verzierung aber an anderer Stelle nicht so richtig vorstellen (den Ärmel entlang? an der Taille? am Oberteil?) und habe dann beschlossen es trotzdem so zu versuchen. Ich finde es sieht nicht allzu schräg aus. Im Notfall hätte ich das Kleid oberhalb der Waben abgeschnitten und eine extra Stufe angesetzt. 



Although I could have done a better job in matching the honeycombs at the center back…

Allerdings hätte ich mir hinten etwas mehr Mühe geben können, an der mittleren Naht das Muster entsprechend fortzusetzen...



And that's it: my new favorite dress! :-)

Mein neues Lieblings-Kleid! :-)



11 comments:

  1. How awesome is that dress! I'm in love with your fabric, the colour and that honeycomb detail are to die for and that pattern is so nice on you, it looks like it was made for you indeed :) The only thing is were it for me I would have totally gone for the ruched collar, it's so fun^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grossartig!! super schönes kleid und tolle silhouette!
    dass der schnitt so gut passte- wundert mich kein stück:-)
    man hat früher gründlicher an den schnitten gearbeitet und die faruen waren auch kleiner. vieles hat man nciht ohne bestimmten hintergrund so gemacht und nicht anders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich kann verstehen, dass das Dein Lieblings-Kleid ist. Ein sehr schöner Schnitt und der Bubikragen ist viel schöner als die Rüschen. Ich beneide Dich direkt um den tollen Stoff mit dem Muster. Ich finde das hast Du doch prima hingekriegt. So einen magischen Stift habe ich auch und anscheinend verschwinded die Markierung wieder von selbst, je nach Faser dauert es unterschiedlich lang. Ich habe es allerdings noch nicht ausprobiert.

    Liebe Grüße
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. your new dress is super cute! i love love it! mustard is one of my favorite colors, and peter pan collar goes perfectly with the style of the dress.. great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress! I love your fabric, especially the honey comb on the hem. The peter pan collar added really sweetness on the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Love the honeycomb decoration at the hem and the colour is sooooooooo nice!!!!!!! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so cute! I love this winter dress. The honeycomb is a beautiful feature. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Long sleeve dress, mustard colour, and honeycomb lace pattern. it suits you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, and I like that mustard colour a lot! The design is super-cute! And the collar looks much better that the ruched collar on the envelope. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dress!!! Having seen it, I realized I absolutely need something in this colour as well :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes yes yes! Looks awesome and the white collar was a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...